1.21.2009

We're Home...round two!!

So, apparently Mr. McKay enjoyed the hospital so much that he wanted to go back. We spent Sunday through Tuesday in the NICU. Without boring you with all the details, it seems like my milk didn't come in soon enough so the little guy started to get dehydrated and couldn't bring himself back up. Instead he just continued to get worse.

I am glad I called the Dr. when I did (thanks Mom for the reassurance) or things could have been much worse. Sunday was a pretty emotional day, but once the spinal tap came back in the clear, our worst fears of meningitis were gone. We didn't get a picture of him that first day. But I am kind of glad we didn't. He was so lifeless laying there all hooked up under the heaters.

Although I know how special each baby is, spending time in the NICU with a full term baby made me really count my blessings. We were also grateful to have my Uncle and Aunt close by. They were there for us that first night, when we really needed someone. Since this is our first time away from our family, it really helped to have them there.

Another blessing in disguise is that Collin has been happily playing with cousins in Utah and never knew there was a problem. I am sure having him home would have added more stress to the mix.

After McKay started improving, he got to move out of the first room and we got a little cubicle all to ourselves.


The blanket would be draped over his bassinet when he was asleep. Jason didn't like it, he said it made it look like a coffin.



Here is our second "coming home" outfit!



We are so glad to have him home again...hopefully this time we can do things right!

PS. I thought that having to go up the stairs one time was rough...I never want to leave this house again ;)

P.P.S. We are glad we left Collin's sign on the door to officially welcome McKay home again.

12 comments:

Shane and Amy Jo said...

Jenny, I'm so glad to hear that McKay is doing better. That really is so scary, especially when you're in the moment of it all. Hope this second time around goes a little more smoothly!

The Gentry's said...

Hope all continues to get better. So sorry that all of you had to go through that. His second outfit is just as cute as the first!!

Jess said...

I'm so sorry you had to do that! It is a rough ride to have your baby so sad looking all hooked up to everything. I'm glad he is better now & I hope everything goes better this time! I love the little teddy bear. I want to smooch on him.

Harmony said...

You're a good mom Jenny! I'm sure everything worked out because you and Jason pay attention and know when somethings not right. I hope he's feeling better, and you too! Order take out and stay on the couch already!! Sheesh!

Zach 'n' Jack said...

oh my goodness, how frightening! Welcome home again, and you guys are in our prayers, I'm sure everything will be great from now on!! I know how you feel about the stairs, I remember those...horrible! Stay home!

Kim H. said...

Wow, what a week, enjoy that little guy, and remember your one heck of a good mom! I remember chloe in the NICU, something good to put behind you.

Brandon,J'lene, Kamiah,Braelyn, Chelsea, Aussie said...

I am glad to hear that you have McKay home again, what a strong little man! And you two are great and strong parents for going through all that you have. I pray the best for your family, what a blessing to have Collin with cousins at the time. McKay is an adorable little teddy bear!

Julie said...

Oh, I am so glad that everything is okay. I know what it feels like to be scared to death & it's not fun. I am so glad that a miracle came your way and blessed you and your family. Give that boy kisses for me.

Cara said...

Congrats on your little boy! Sorry to hear that he was having a rough time. I hate those letters..N-I-C-U! I've had my fair share of those. Not fun. Hopefully the worst is behind you now and you can enjoy your little guy. The time goes by so fast! We keep you in our prayers and hope things go better for you.

Heather English said...

Sorry that happened to you! That must be hard to your cute little baby hooked up to all that stuff. Glad he is doing better!

Sheffers said...

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about McKay. I am glad your home now, and I am sad that you had to experience so far away from family. I am glad your auntt and uncle could be there. Your very optimistic and positive. I hope all goes well and you and baby are okay.

Maren said...

I'm sorry you had to go through all of that. I'm glad McKay is doing better and is home with you now. That little bear homecoming outfit is very cute, well, not as cute as the little baby boy inside it!